Thursday, July 15, 2010

ZbWlAaRcTk

This amazing exhibit premiered at the Fashion Museum in Antwerp a few months back, and I was lucky enough to be there. It was a little treat for myself as I was on my way to Paris for an actual birthday dinner. But I adore Antwerp and was met at the airport by none other than the Belgian Buddy Holly, my dear friend Wannes. What an amazing 24 plus hours all leading up to the opening of this wonderful exhibit...
(who could imagine a poet wearing anything other than black?)

I have been to Antwerp several times before and if you know me at all, you know that it's usually a pilgrimmage to worship at the temples of the fashion gods: Demeulemeester, Van Noten, et al...But this time was for a vernissage, a gathering of Noir - Masters of Black in Fashion & Costume. It featured not only contemporary designers who are inspired to design in this preferred 'non-color' but also, a history of black in fashion: dye processes, social connotations, the Victorian era, jewelry, accessories...a extremely rich display for a very specific topic. It was lovely...
Gareth Pugh


Yohji Yamamoto


RIP Lee McQueen

Call or email the Mode Museum and order the catalogue if you are so inclined - you will not be disappointed. http://www.momu.be/

No comments:

Post a Comment