Friday, July 16, 2010

The girl in black...

 So, I think that it's funny when parents come into my shop, look at the baby clothes or a toddler tee and proclaim: "My child just isn't ready to wear black." Or I've heard: "His/her parents won't let their baby wear black." I guess I said the same thing about pastels when the twins were infants. But what most people actually don't know is that newborns are really only seeing high contrast black & white for the first 6 weeks to 2 months of their lives. As their sight begins to develop, and their eyes begin to work in conjunction with their brains, they will begin to be able to distinguish between similarly shaded bright colors and possibly (yuk!) pastels at around 5 months.

Here's Zelda (on your left), wearing a dress that I bought for her in Antwerp...and of course, a family remember remarked: "Only you would dress your daughter in black for Easter!" Frankly, it didn't occur to me that it was black - I see it as a beautiful little dress with white stars. But yes, to many people, black evokes emotion when seen on children.  And just for your information, the little girl on the far right is my god-daughter and she recently requested a necklace made from a tooth on a chain. It makes my heart sing to be able to avoid sparkly pink ponies in the lives of our sweet little girls...

                                                         left to right: Zelda, Paloma, & Natalia

No comments:

Post a Comment