Thursday, October 21, 2010

Look in the mirror...

"...and we know where we're goin'
but we don't know where we've been
and we know what we're knowin'
but we can't say what we've seen..."


The year was 1993...I had returned from designing couture (not haute! mind you) in Paris and got a job as a manager of a crazy, hip shop in Georgetown, DC called Commander Salamander. A streetwear line named "Poubelle" was inevitable. Am I embarrassed to post these photos? No, we need to look in the mirror and reconcile with our past...I sold to several skate shops and indie boutiques around the country and appeared in WWD and Seventeen. I hated it, though. The kids were fun...the blonde was named Lexie and the red head, I don't remember. The photographer was Michelle. As the song goes: we don't know, or remember where we've been...






"I'm feelin' okay this mornin'
and you know
we're on the road to paradise
Here we go! here we go!"


-the Talking Heads

n.b. even then I liked graffiti, trash and trailers...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Commander! I was in the store this weekend - the shelves are nearly empty - the passing of an era! You, Gail, sailed there at the Commander's height of cool! But then why are we not surprised by that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete